Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Side of life with no regrets, please.

The past 8 months have been a whirlwind. I ended a 3.5 year relationship, graduated college, and started a "big girl" job (if you can even call it that). My emotions have taken a sucker punch from my past, and my mind refuses to clear a path for the future. All of this thinking in tenses is making ME tense. I get random bouts of anxiety over the tiniest things. I had a quarter-life crisis when I turned 23. I worry about not meeting more people, not going out more, not getting better grades...I could go on for about 5 years. Speaking of 5 years, my 5 year high school reunion is coming up... further worsening my freak out. Ugh.

Why now? Trust me, it makes no sense to me either. As my mom would say, "If those are your biggest problems, you've got it made."

Lying in bed last night I got to thinking...how is regretting anything going to help me live a happy, successful, joyful life? As you can expect...I couldn't think of one freaking way. But what about all the things I've accomplished? Like learning how to love and care about someone deeply for 3.5 years, graduating from a well known University and earning a degree, finding a job doing something I enjoy, and most importantly--having my health, my family, and my friends?

After having a major spaz attack I've realized several things.
  1. Being 23 does not make you ancient, regardless of what Hollywood says. 
  2. I need to stop being so logical when it's not necessary and go out on a random Tuesday night. 
  3. I have met plenty of people, it's just the ones I've kept are the ones that matter.
  4. I actually got really good grades in college, so kiss it nerds!
  5. I remember college and didn't gain the freshman 15, sophomore 20, Junior 30, or Senior 40 (which is always tragic)
  6. There is always space for more fun and craziness. I'm going to make room. 


 Lesson Learned: I need a shrink. But seriously...

Sometimes regrets pop up when you least expect them--figure out why you feel that way and make changes. Regretting the past will always hinder your future, so stop it!! Never forget to praise yourself for your accomplishments and what you do have. Regret stresses you out, which in turn makes you lose sleep, dries out your hair, and gives you a stomach ache. Not fun.


Okay so next dilemma, Is it possible to regret regret? Just kidding! 2345

No comments:

Post a Comment