Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Unlucky number 7

It's been 7 years since a very good friend of mine passed away. I've spent the majority of those years shoving the memory into a figurative file in my brain labeled "never think about." I've realized that that file is either full or lost--because it hasn't seemed to work too well.

Oddly enough, this anniversary of his death has been tougher than any other. The simple act of reading his name or seeing a picture punctures my heart and sinks my stomach. I can't stop thinking about how far all of his friends have come--professionally, personally, mentally--and wonder who he would be today? The question seems especially sad knowing it will never, ever have an answer.

Derek's death was untimely and tragic. It was an event that shook me, and everyone who knew him to the very core. It changed me in ways I never even knew until right now. I've cherished my relationships even more, told people how I feel, and taken advantage of good and bad days because of him.

I'm thankful for another angel. Love and miss you always.




 
Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
~Rossiter Worthington Raymond
2345

No comments:

Post a Comment