Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Institution of.....crap.

You know what I hate...when people ask, so who are you seeing? Just because I am a woman in my twenties means I have to be with a significant other? I either have to be in a serious relationship, or engaged, or, as I have been asked numerous times...so are you married yet? Umm, no.

I have never been a serial dater, and hardly consider myself a dater at all, but it seems as though the older I get the less I want to get married. Call me cynical (or a pyscho bitch) but the idea of marriage makes me want to burn down Tiffany's stores or cut off my ring finger.

Maybe it's because I have seen love (or something like it) shatter into a million little pieces and cut everyone involved during its break. Maybe I try to hard to be a rebel against the status quo. I like to think it is because I am emotionally independent and too OCD to deal with the clutter of a man.

People say that when you find that special person "you just know," and two people marry "when the time is right." Well what if your heart doesn't flutter like they say? Or worse, what if it does but but that time never comes? I bet the person who made up those phrases is single, living alone, and has a house full of cats.

Don't get me wrong, I think marriage can be lovely if its what you want. But why do people just assume its what you need? I firmly believe two people, in love and in faith, can spend their whole lives together without a certificate of marriage. It's sad to think that everyone else will be rooting for a ceremony and not them.

I may get married, I may not. So if that day comes (in at least 10 years) do me a favor and don't judge me for this post. 2345

No comments:

Post a Comment