Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Write on

Hi, my name is Lauren, and I'm a write-aholic.

No really. Sometimes I think I'm missing the ability to show the most basic human emotions in an external way. Paper has always seemed more friendly than people, and words comfort me in ways "talking it out" never could. There's no awkward silences, either.

Which leads me to my next thought...(related, promise)

I just started reading "Fury,"a memoir by Koren Zailckas. She is the author of Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood, which I read when I was 18 and have been obsessed with ever since. Fury is about her paralyzing breakup, and her quest to understand why she's never been able to express her emotions in any way besides writing them down or swallowing them away. Needless to say, I fell in love at page 1.

Read them. Both of them. Now. Seriously--she's amazing.

I had a similar experience at the tender age of 15. It led to an overstuffed notebook filled with poetry, quotes, lyrics, etc. It's my ever-growing emotional time-capsule. Which I refuse to bury.

"Writing is the emotional morphine." --Mariam Maarouf
2345

No comments:

Post a Comment