Thursday, April 21, 2011

Choose Happiness Everyday

I love to-do lists. Something about writing everything down gives me a sense of clarity. Putting little check marks next to finished items gives me a tiny boost of reassurance that I'm being a productive human being (especially on Saturday afternoons when I am anything but). I own two planners; I keep one with me and one in my car. I looked forward to writing down my assignments in high school and college. I know--nerd alert! 

When I don't finish everything I tend to feel defeated. I add everything I didn't get done to the next day feeling even more overwhelmed. I've been raised to "do the work first," to make sure "all your ducks are in a row," to "get down to business." Okay, I get it. It's important (and for me, therapeutic) to stay organized. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if you didn't clean out your car or go to the gym? Doubt it.

I found this pretty little to-do list and realized I need to give myself more credit for everything I have already, and will accomplish. I graduated from an amazing school, have a job, and a great support system of loving family and friends.

Lesson learned: Take a deep breath. The world isn't going to end because you didn't complete everything you thought you should. Being happy, laughing, and remembering to enjoy everyday should always take 1, 2 and 3 on everyone's to-do lists.



2345

No comments:

Post a Comment