Sunday, April 17, 2011

My virtual green notebook.

I grew some balls (is that p.c. yet?) and decided to put some of my old poetry on here. I figure if I want to write for a living I better get used to people reading it!

None of my poetry is titled. Actually it's not even dated. I'll always remember the exact date, time, and reason I wrote it, though. One of my favorite things about poetry is that it allows you to capture a moment, a feeling, down to the exact second you were feeling it. Like I said earlier--a little "time-capsule in words."

I won the Women's Club Writing Award for poetry in 10th grade for this. I still remember how embarrassed I was when the woman was standing there purging the lines for all to hear. I had no idea that was going to happen...and I'm pretty sure the crowd thought I was emotionally loaded. Yikes.




Isn't it funny how time seems to run its course
when it's full of road blocks, dead-ends and stop signs
no one intentionally builds one way streets
or breaks a promise
but you seem to be an expert
Without hearing the construction in front of me,
I drive along this bumpy, graveled road called life
my dreams hold my steering wheel, and the only radio playing is your laughter
I try to sing along but can't seem to find the station
accelerating with new hope, just to break for disappointment,
because no one told me to buckle up.
2345

No comments:

Post a Comment